Building Inspections
What is the purpose of a building permit?
The purpose of a building permit is to provide minimum construction standards established by the Minnesota State Building Code. These minimum construction standards provide safeguards for life, health, property and welfare by regulating design, construction, materials, use and the type of occupancy of all buildings. A building permit must be obtained any time a building or structure is erected, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, converted or demolished.
Where and when do I need smoke detectors in existing homes and additions?
Smoke detectors are required for the entire house when remodeling the home or finishing a basement. Smoke detectors must be in each bedroom, in hallways leading to bedrooms, and on every level of the home. Smoke detectors must be hard wired with battery backup in the newly constructed areas. In existing areas of the home where ceiling finish has not been removed, batter powered smoke detectors may be used.
When are carbon monoxide detectors required?
In new construction of single-family, two-family and townhouse buildings, carbon monoxide (CO) detectors must be installed outside and not more than 10 feet from each separate sleeping area or bedroom. Where work requiring a permit occurs in existing dwellings that have attached garages or have fuel-fired appliances, CO alarms shall be provided as stated above.
Do you have any tips for homeowners hiring contractors?
Although the city cannot recommend specific contractors, following are two useful sources of information about the contractor hiring process and homeowner rights and responsibilities.

City Council
Where can I view city council meeting agendas, packets and minutes?
How can I contact the city council?
You can contact the city council by email at council@ci.victoria.mn.us. Learn more about how to contact the city council on the city council page. 
How can I watch city council meetings?
Community members are able to view City Council Meetings by attending at City Hall, by streaming online, or by watching on Mediacom Channel 8. 
Who do I contact with election questions?
More information regarding elections is available on our Elections webpage.

Carver County elections department can be reached via email or at 952-361-1910.

The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State can be reached via email or at 651-215-1440.
Fire Department
How do I contact the Fire Department when it is not an emergency?
The non-emergency number is 952-443-4240 or you can email Acting Fire Chief Trenton Klos at tklos@ci.victoria.mn.us
How many calls does the Fire Department respond to each year?
The department responds to over 350 calls per year. 

Learn more about the calls the Fire Department responds to in the Victoria Fire Department’s 2022 Annual Report.

What is the life expectancy of a smoke detector?
Smoke detectors are meant to be used for no more than ten years. After they reach this age they may not work properly in the event of a fire. To check how old you detectors are, remove them from the ceiling mount and a date of manufacture will be printed on the back.

Learn more about fire safety on the Emergency Preparedness page. 
Is there a charge for responding to false alarms?
Yes. For the third and subsequent false alarm calls within a year, the charge is $430 per incident.
Can I get my home fire extinguisher recharged at a fire station?
Unfortunately, the Victoria Fire Department does not provide this service. There are several vendors in the metro area that can fulfill this need.
Do I need a burning permit to have a recreational bonfire?
No, you do not need a burning permit for a recreational bonfire, however the fire must meet the recreational fire guidelines.
What consumer fireworks are legal?
The sale, possession, and use of certain non-explosive and non-aerial consumer fireworks is permitted in Minnesota. Examples of legal fire works include items such as sparklers, cones and tubes that emit sparks, snakes, and party poppers. Additional information can be found on the Minnesota State Fire Marshal website at Consumer Fireworks Information.
Can Victoria businesses sell consumer fireworks?
Yes, but they first must fill out a Sale of Fireworks Permit Application (PDF) and submit it to the city for approval.
Can certified fireworks display companies obtain a permit from the city to put on a show?
Yes, but first they must fill out a fireworks display application (PDF) and submit it to the city for approval.
Can I join the Victoria Fire Department?
If you live or work in Victoria, the answer might be yes! Firefighters are paid-on-call employees of the department. They are paid per hour for training and calls as well as earn pension credit. Email Acting Fire Chief Trenton Klos at tklos@ci.victoria.mn.us

Learn more about the recruitment process here.
Can I burn a large pile of brush on my property?
Open burning is prohibited in the City of Victoria unless a permit is issued. A burning permit is required for any fire larger than 3 feet by 3 feet. Permits are available at the Victoria City Hall. The City of Victoria would like to encourage all residents to use alternate disposal methods, such as composting or recycling and use burning as a last resort.
Can I burn leaves?
No. Leaves are not allowed to be burnt, even if they are in a recreation fire.  Burning of leaves produces noxious smoke which can create a health hazard and is a nuisance to your neighbors.
General Questions
Where is city hall located?
1670 Steiger Lake Lane Victoria, MN 55386

Hours are weekday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Between Memorial Day-Labor Day, city hall closes at noon on Fridays.

More Information can be found here. 
Are there any parking restrictions on city streets after a snow fall?
Yes. It is prohibited to park on any city street after a two-inch snowfall. These restrictions are enforced until the streets are plowed. 
Are there any restrictions for watering my lawn?
Yes. From May 1 through September 30, the city enforces an odd / even restriction based on your house number and time of day restriction with no watering between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. More information on this policy is available on the Water Conservation page
What utility companies provide services for residents of Victoria?
Utility contact information is available on our Utility Services page. 
I just bought a house in Victoria. What school district are my children in?
The City of Victoria is served by two school districts.
View the School Districts serving Victoria page. 
I am a new resident of Victoria. Is there any information available regarding services, garbage haulers, etc.?
See the Utility Services page for information regarding services, garbage haulers, etc. 
Park Facility Rental
How do I reserve the Lions Park Pavilion?
Reservation Process for Lions Park Pavilion

  • View the Lions Pavilion availability calendar to confirm date availability. 
  • Complete the facility request form.
  • The Parks and Recreation Department will follow up with confirmation on availability and instructions on renting the space.
  • The Parks and Recreation Department will provide the cost for rental. Payment must be provided prior to rental.
  • Keys: A key card will need to be picked up no earlier than the day of the event and returned the next day after the event. Pick-up location is the Victoria Recreation Center (8745 Kochia Lane, Victoria, MN, 55385). 
  • Amenities: Refrigerator, tables and chairs, serving windows, kitchen sink, public restrooms, drinking fountain, auxiliary port for monitor. 
How do I reserve a neighborhood park shelter?
Reservation Process for Neighborhood Park Shelters

  • Visit the Neighborhood Park Shelter webpage.
  • Complete the Facility Rental Request Form. 
  • Payment:  Is due prior to the day of rental.  
  • Keys:  If the park shelter that you rented requires a key (Rhapsody), it will need to be picked up and returned to the Victoria Recreation Center (8475 Kochia Lane, Victoria) front desk on the day of the rental.  The summer hours for the Victoria Recreation Center are 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Parks & Recreation
How do I register for recreation programs?
You can register online. You can also register in person at the Victoria Recreation Center at 8475 Kochia Lane in Victoria or by phone at 952-443-4255.
What are the hours of the Victoria Recreation Center?
Visit the Victoria Recreation Center webpage to see facility hours.
Do you offer fitness classes?
Yes! View the schedule on our website.

Group Fitness Class Costs

  • Member - Daily Fee (per class): $6
  • Resident - Daily Fee (per class): $7
  • Non-Resident - Daily Fee (per class): $8
Punch Card Fees

  • Member Punch Card (10 Punches): $50
  • Resident Punch Card (10 Punches): $60
  • Non-Resident Punch Card (10 Punches): $70
Are there any recreation programs available for my kids?
Yes. The City of Victoria and the local youth athletic associations all run recreational activities in Victoria. See our current parks and recreation brochure for classes and activities for all ages.
Can I use the walking track at the Recreation Center?
Yes! The Victoria Recreation Center's walking track is located above the East ice rink. The walking track is free to everyone. Please note that the track will be closed during high school hockey games. Track users must be 10 years or older to use the walking track without adult supervision.
How do I reserve the Lions Park Pavilion?
To view information on the Lions Park Pavilion visit our web page.
Who do I contact to reserve a park facility?
You can fill out a Facility Rental Request Form if you are looking to rent a facility. To learn more about the facilities or ask questions about reserving a park facility, contact the Victoria Recreation Center by calling 952-443-4255 or by email at vrc@ci.victoria.mn.us to speak with the Recreation Supervisor. 
Public Works
Where is information about road restrictions?
View City of Victoria seasonal road restrictions page.

View map for weight limits on city roads.
What items should not be flushed down your toilet?
Residents are reminded that certain solid waste items do not belong in the sewer system. Many materials, flushed or poured down the drain can become stuck in sewer lift stations, potentially causing sewer back-ups in homes. Disposable does not mean Flushable. Items claiming to be biodegradable do not necessarily break down well enough to be put into the sewer system.

Cloth-like materials such as shop towels, kitchen and bathroom wipes can plug up the sewer system. Product packaging clearly indicates disposal into a trashcan. If it doesn't dissolve immediately in a bowl, it should not be placed into the sewer. The exception, of course, is toilet paper.

Grease is also a major problem for the sewer system. It will coat the walls of the sewer pipe and eventually cause a clog and possible sewer back-up. Instead, place grease in a container, let it solidify, and throw it into the trash.

Common items that should not be flushed into the sewer system:

  • Plastic objects (toys, eating utensils, etc)
  • Glass, wood, metal or soil; cooking oil, or other edible food oils
  • Rags, condoms, sanitary napkins, tampons, paper towels, cotton balls or swabs
  • flushable toilet brushes, wipes and pad
  • Wet wipes, face cloths, or cleaning cloths
What are the water usage restrictions in the city?
The City of Victoria has an ordinance restricting water usage, effective annually from May 1 to September 30. During that time, irrigation (ex., sprinklers or in-ground watering systems) through the public water supply is restricted to an odd/even watering cycle and prohibited between 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.

What this means:

  • No person shall irrigate using the public water supply between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on any day of the week.  
  • If a property address is an even number, irrigation can take place on the even-numbered days outside of the hours listed above. 
  • If the property address is an odd number, irrigation can take place on the odd-numbered days outside of the hours listed above.
  • For example, the property owners of 1670 Stieger Lake Lane can irrigate on July 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.
  • House numbers ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 are considered even and house numbers ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 are considered odd.
Why it matters:

  • Ensures an adequate water supply for those that use public water in Victoria, Minn. 
  • Conserves water resources
  • Prevents wasteful and harmful effects of irrigation during the midday hours
Compliance with this ordinance is mandatory. Failure to comply may result in a fine. Special permit consideration will be given for those property owners with new seed or sod.

Learn more about the ordinance (Chapter 26; Section 26 to 30) in the municipal code.
When does the city sweep the streets?
All surfaced city streets, parking lots, medians, and city maintained sidewalks are swept in the spring of the year (beginning the first week of April if weather permits) and again in the fall (typically at the end of September).

Spot-sweeping occurs during the summer months as needed after a rain, an accident that has resulted in debris on the road, or at the request of a resident.
There is a pothole on the street in front of my house. Who do I call?
Complete the online Report a Pothole form, or call 952-443-4210. We will either spot patch the pothole after it is reported, or we will add the location to our list for our regular maintenance schedule.
I noticed that there is a damaged swing at a local park. Who do I call?
If you have noticed damaged park equipment at a local park, please complete the online Report a Park Maintenance Issue Form, or email Public Works at info@ci.victoria.mn.us, or call 952-443-4210 to report broken equipment.
My water bill seems really high, and I am not sure why. How much water do I use when I water my lawn?
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, an average lawn sprinkler will use 10 gallons of water per minute. See water usage for average water usage for typical daily activities. For any Utility Billing questions or issues please fill out the Report a Utility Billling Issue Form. 
Snow and Ice Removal
What are the on-street parking restrictions during snow storms?
Parking on the street is prohibited from 11:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. after two inches of snow falls or until the street is plowed curb to curb.
What time will my street be plowed?
The public works department tries to follow the following schedule when plowing snow in the city; weather conditions may delay our progress towards meeting these goals.

  • Collector and minor arterial streets: 3:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m.
  • Cul-de-sacs/dead-end streets/alleys: 8:00 a.m. - Noon
  • Clean-up: Noon-3:00 p.m.
  • Sanding: 3:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
View the city's snow plowing route map.
Who plows the sidewalks?
Residents are responsible for plowing sidewalks in front or on the side of their property within 24 hours of snowfall.
Why does the snow plow keep knocking over my mail box?
Mailboxes should be set back at least three feet from the curb to avoid being in the direct line of plowed snow. It is the homeowner's responsibility to keep the snow clear around their mailbox and to keep their mailbox in good repair so the weight of the snow from the plows will not knock the box over.  See the U.S. Postmaster guidelines for securing installing a mailbox.
A rock from a city plow chipped my windshield. Does the city pay for my windshield?
The city does not pay for damage to a windshield. When city plows are out plowing roads, these trucks are laying salt and sand on the roads and are generally driving at slower speeds than the posted speed. For your own safety, drivers are encouraged to stay at a distance when following any snowplow. 
Utility Services
How do I set up or discontinue Water/Sewer Services?
How do I set up automatic payment?
To set up automatic payment, fill out the Application to Authorize Automatic Payments for Utility Services form. 
How is my bill calculated?
There are base charges for every home. Meters are read at the end of the month and water is billed from consumption amount. View the water, sewer, and stormwater rates. 
Why is my sewer consumption sometimes different from my water consumption?
Sewer is billed based on the average amount of water used during January through March. This avoids paying 1:1 for water/sewer during summer irrigation months where water is used at a higher rate than sewer. 
When should I expect my bills and due date?
You can expect to be billed around the 5th of every month with the exception of weekends and holidays. The due date is 3 weeks from the bill date.  
Why am I charged a storm water fee when I don't have a drain on my property?
 All residents of Victoria, Minnesota pay a storm water fee that helps maintain the city-wide storm water system. 
What qualifies me to be a snowbird? What benefits do snowbirds get?
Any resident who is away from January through March for at least a month are considered snowbirds. Snowbirds are billed 1:1 for water up to 10,000 gallons every month. They will not pay sewer consumption while they are away.

Explore the City of Lakes and Parks

Learn More