Hwy 5/11 Improvement Project
The City of Victoria, in partnership with Carver County and MnDOT, is planning improvements to the intersection of Highway 5 and 11 (west) and the surrounding area. This project improves safety, traffic flow, and downtown access to support the needs of the area as it continues to grow, including the Downtown West Expansion project.
Purpose and Need
Traffic delays and safety concerns already exist at the Highway 5 / Highway 11 (west) intersection and surrounding area. The City of Victoria is actively planning for the development of the 13.5 acres of land owned by the City just northeast of the intersection. This development will change traffic patterns and increase the number of people walking, biking, and driving within the project area and in Downtown Victoria. Carver County and MnDOT support improving this intersection. Further analysis is needed to identify improvements that balance local needs with the needs of the greater region.
Proposed Project Area
- Establish a shared vision for a collaborative system of roadways, trails, and sidewalks that serves the current and future needs of the community and greater region.
- Ensure improvements align with area development plans and support safe and efficient pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle mobility.
- Maintain acceptable access to adjacent properties and minimize construction impacts of the planned improvements.
Anticipated Project Schedule
- Study (Summer-Fall 2023)
- Conduct traffic analysis and data collection
- Develop corridor design alternatives
- Preliminary Design (Fall 2023-Spring 2024)
- Identify and refine a preferred design alternative for the corridor
- Final Design (Spring 2024-Spring 2025)
- Finalize preferred design aesthetics (e.g. landscaping)
- Develop construction plans
- Construction Begins (2025)
Hwy 5/11 Downtown West Improvement Project Open House
The City of Victoria, in partnership with Carver County and MnDOT, invited community members to attend an Open House on November 15, 2023 to review and share feedback on the design concepts for the Hwy 5/11 Downtown West Improvement Project and the Carver County-led Highway 11 - Carver Park Reserve Project, which are planned to be constructed in 2025.
Digital Meeting Materials:
Downtown West Improvement Project Design Layout (PDF)
Downtown West Improvement Project Boards (PDF)
If interested, please provide feedback on the design concepts by filling out the Feedback Form.
Cara Geheren, City Engineer, City of Victoria | (651) 300-4261 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jake Bongard, Project Manager, Bolton & Menk | (952) 201-9488 | email@example.com
|City of Victoria Engineering Department
Engineering design standards guide the planning and design of public infrastructure within Victoria, Minnesota with oversight from the City of Victoria Engineering Department.